Photodynamic therapy is a new treatment methodology for cancer treatment introduced for the first time in India by Vinvish Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Photodynamic therapy is an efficient photochemical process to destroy the cancerous cells. It is recognized as a treatment strategy that is both minimally invasive and minimally toxic. Unlike other conventional techniques such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, PDT destroys the cancerous cells without damaging the healthy tissues. It deals with interaction of light with photo sensitizer. Photo-sensitizers are molecules that absorb light. The PDT laser light excites the sensitizer and it reacts with the molecular oxygen and produces singlet oxygen that is used to destroy only the cancerous or pre-cancerous cells.
- Used for selective killing of cancer cells with light therapy
- First time in India
- Gold medal winner: DST- Lockheed Martin India innovation growth programme 2013
- Winner of DBT-BIRAC Innovator of the year Award 2013.
- Winner of UDHYOG BHARATI Award 2013
Photodynamic therapy is an efficient photochemical process to destroy the cancerous or pre-cancerous cells. It deals with interaction of light with photo sensitiser. Photosensitisers are molecules that absorbs light. The typical laser light excites the sensitiser and it reacts with the molecular oxygen produces singlet oxygen. The excitation, so caused produces reactive oxygen that kills the cancerous cells leaving the healthy cells unharmed. The use of an inexpensive ALA photo-sensitizer drug in the PDT laser treatment makes it an economically viable answer for accessible cancer healing.
The PDT laser finds its application in many medical facets including;
- Treatment of oral precancers( Squamous cell carcinoma)
- Treatment of Cancers affecting the Gastro-Intestinal (GI) Tract
- Treatment of Lung cancer using 5-ALA (FDI approved in US)
- Antimicrobial PDT
- Animal Model studies to test the efficacy of different types of photosensitizers
- Interstitial PDT of internal organs
- Treatment of cervical cancers
- Treatment of Basal cell carcinoma
- Treatment of gingival inflammations to destroy cancerous or precancerous cells.